Sunday, May 17, 2009

Denver

So here it goes. I'm a blogger. I hope that in the future this will entertain you and bring you excitement and laughter, but tonight it will be some of the many thoughts I have had after a 10 hour drive from Norman to Denver and the hour and a half I spent wandering the streets of downtown.



Let's back up for a minute. I am blessed. I have some very wonderful friends and live in a gospel community. What does that mean? I have no idea, but it is better than I could ever imagine. I spent last night with some of the people I love most in this world. We sang hymns and cried together (a manly sort of got something stuck in your eye crying that is). Not that odd right? Who wouldn't want to spend their last night in town with their best friends? What is crazy is that most of these people I have only been friends with for a semester. In that short semester they have truly brought joy and community into my life. Even better than that, they have brought the gospel. They confront me about my sin and praise me for things I haven't done. You guys are great, and you know who you are.



The Drive

I was really dreading the drive from Norman to Denver. I am not the biggest fan of being alone and 10 hours staring out at the beauty of western Kansas while my friends prepared for summer conference wasn't exactly my ideal lazy Sunday. I did prepare for it however though. A play list including the best of Simon and Garfunkel along with a long list of hymns, radio lab, and sermons seemed like they just might be able to do the trick. To my surprise the drive was not nearly as terrible as I had once assumed it would be. The bulk of it was spent listening to hymns and Kevin Twitt lecture about the postmodern hymn movement.



Denver

Wow. I arrived to the Sheraton around 8 mountain time and approached the front desk only to be greeted by the greatest British accent I could have imagined. She soon had me checked into my room and sent to room 915. Wow. I don' mean to sound like I have never stayed in a place like this before... but I haven't. There is a receptionist desk in my room for crying out loud. On that note, I will be taking applications for a personal summer secretary position. Pay sucks, but the company is great.



Downtown

To some people a nice relaxing night in the room after a long day driving would sound great. Not to me, I had to go explore. My hotel and office are right in the middle of downtown Denver. Wow. I felt like a freshman on campus as I walked around with my head pointed straight up looking at all of the giant buildings. I even found a map. I was a little intimidated to walk around by myself, but that did not stop me. I even made friends. One guy offered me pot while another asked me if I knew Denver very well because he was, "Looking to find some honies and rebound."



This is an exciting place. Maybe I will come up with more exciting stories from Denver. Maybe not.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That last part definitely made me laugh out loud, literally.
    I love our gospel community too. I will miss it terribly. Skype me in next semester.

    (I posted that at Sally first. I'm on her computer. Oops.)

    ReplyDelete